Welcome to the Centre for Spiritual Practices at Lynn Valley United Church! A growing body of evidence shows that including spiritual practices in your life increases overall health and well-being. The Centre for Spiritual Practices provides ongoing, regular activities that use meditation, reflection, prayer, and action to allow individuals and groups to connect to that well-being.
Although every program of the church has 'spirit' at its core, we established the Centre for Spiritual Practices to teach tools and techniques and to support and build skills to enable individuals to create a more balanced life. Some of what is offered is filtered through the Christian lens, and we also offer practices that are accessible to those with other - or no - religious or theological backgrounds.
In addition to Lynn Valley United Church providing Christian worship and Christian bible study groups, The Centre for Spiritual Practices focuses on these areas of programming, which are all are open to the community, regardless of faith background.
- Soul Spa: Once each month - on the third Monday of the month - we gather in-person in an intimate gathering to practice a variety of spiritual practices
- Labyrinth: We are opening the Labyrinth weekly, Monday to Thursday from 10 - 4 pm.
- Centering Prayer: A weekly group session of an individual silent meditation as prescribed in Thomas Keating's 'Contemplative Prayer'. It is recommended that participants have taken an introductory course (offered through Contemplative Outreach of Greater Vancouver), but it is not mandatory.
- Healing Pathway: a healing modality taught through the United Church of Canada that utilizes energy and prayer as a complementary practice to health and wellness treatments.
- Yoga Chapel: connecting body, mind, and spirit in meditative movement, yoga is a beneficial activity for all fitness levels. We offer several 5-week series throughout the year.