The Season After Pentecost
Pentecost is a special day for the church - some call it the "birthday of the church." And what do you call the days after your birthday? Just a bunch of ordinary days? Well, in keeping with Sarah Mclachlan's take on it being just another ordinary miracle today, this Season After Pentecost, the liturgy explores encounters with God expressed in the eariest books of the Old Testament. Settle in for some old, familiar stories... and you can bet there will be a contemporary hook that will make it relevant for your life, today!
- September 3, Exodus 1:8-2:10 Moses is adopted
- September 10, Exodus 3:1-15 Moses encounters the burning bush
- September 17, Romans 14:1-12 Matthew 18:21-35 Forgiveness - with Holy Communion
- September 24, Philippians 1:21-30 Matthew 20:1-16 What is Fair?
- October 1, Philippians 2:1-13 Matthew 21:23-32 Who's Authority - with Worldwide Communion
- October 8, Thanksgiving Sunday Philippians 2:1-13 Matthew 21:23-32 Ten are healed, One gives thanks. What's with that?
- October 15, Philippians 4:1-9 Matthew 22:1-14 - Weird things happen at the Wedding Banquet
- October 22, 1 Thessalonians 1:1-10 Matthew 22:15-22 Give to God the things that are God's
- October 29, 1 Thessalonians 2:1-8 Matthew 22:43-46 The MOST important laws
- November 5, 1 Thessalonians 2:9-13 Matthew 23:1-12 On being a servant
- November 12, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 Matthew 25:1-13 Waiting
- November 19, 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11 Matthew 25:14-30 Use what you've been given
- November 26, Ephesians 1:15-23 Matthew 25:31-46 The least of these
Wherever you are on your own journey, there is a place for you here. Join us for for Sunday Worship each week at 10:30am, with refreshments served before worship at 10am. Lynn Valley United has a beautiful new church building located at 3201 Mountain Highway with plenty of underground parking accessed off Harold Rd.
Are you interested in exploring the texts in a group setting? Waves Coffee and Questions bible study group meets in the lounge at 9am on Saturday mornings and Centering Prayer engages in Lectio Divina, an experience of praying the scriptures, following the silent prayer (all are welcome, or you can come for Lectio Divina alone at 6:30pm)
Want to read the passages from the comfort of home but don't have a bible? Try 'Bible Gateway' - a fabulous online resource with dozens of versions of the bible, interesting scholarly articles and links to other resources.
Available Files to Download
To download, right-click the file and select "Save link as".