The Season After Pentecost
Pentecost is a special day for the church - some call it the "birthday of the church." And what do you call the days after your birthday? Just a bunch of ordinary days? Well, in keeping with Sarah Mclachlan's take on it being just another ordinary miracle today, this Season After Pentecost, the liturgy explores encounters with God expressed in the eariest books of the Old Testament. Settle in for some old, familiar stories... and you can bet there will be a contemporary hook that will make it relevant for your life, today!
- June 4- Pentecost Sunday with Testimonials! Numbers 11:24-30
- After Pentecost... June 11, Genesis 1:1-24 the 1st story of creation
- June 18, Genesis 18:1-15 a baby for Abraham & Sarah
- June 25, Genesis 21: 8-21 Hagar and Ishmael are banished
- July 2, Genesis 22;1-14 the sacrifice of Isaac
- July 9, Genesis 24: 34-38, 42-49, 58-67 a wife for Isaac
- July 16, Genesis 25: 19-34 Esau eats awat his birthright
- July 23, Genesis 28: 10-19a Jacob dreams of a ladder
- July 30, Genesis 29: 15-28 Jacob marries
- August 6, Genesis 29:29 - 30:24 Jacob becomes the father of 12 children
- August 13, Genesis 32: 22-31 Jacob wrestles with God
- August 20, Genesis 37: 1-4, 12-28 Joseph is sold into slavery
- August 27, Genesis 45: 1-15 Joseph is reunited with his brothers
- September 3, Exodus 1:8-2:10 Moses is adopted
- September 10, Exodus 3:1-15 Moses encounters the burning bush
Wherever you are on your own journey, there is a place for you here. Join us for for Sunday Worship each week at 10:30am, with refreshments served before worship at 10am. Lynn Valley United has a beautiful new church building located at 3201 Mountain Highway with plenty of underground parking accessed off Harold Rd.
Are you interested in exploring the texts in a group setting? Waves Coffee and Questions bible study group meets in the lounge at 9am on Saturday mornings and Centering Prayer engages in Lectio Divina, an experience of praying the scriptures, following the silent prayer (all are welcome, or you can come for Lectio Divina alone at 6:30pm)
Want to read the passages from the comfort of home but don't have a bible? Try 'Bible Gateway' - a fabulous online resource with dozens of versions of the bible, interesting scholarly articles and links to other resources.
Available Files to Download
To download, right-click the file and select "Save link as".